Last week I had the opportunity to stock up on Meyer lemons while I was in the South Bay for various medical appointments. I usually prefer recipes with almond flour, but not everyone can eat almonds, so I wanted to share a keto-friendly recipe made with coconut flour.
These muffins are seriously tasty and moist. Add a little dollop of lemon “frosting” on top and you have the perfect keto treat – low in carbs, low in protein, higher in fat. I prefer recipes with a higher fat content, but eating one or two of these should not blow your carb and protein budget.
Approximate macros / muffin: Fat ~ 9 g | Protein ~ 3.5 g | Carbs ~ 2
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt (or more if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup erythritol (granular)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice (regular lemons would do)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (Artesana makes a nice brand)
- 1/4 cup erythritol (confectioners)
- Juice of one lemon (or to taste)
- You could be really decadent and blend in some cream cheese if eating dairy…this would also add some nice fat to the recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Whisk eggs vigorously to blend well.
- Melt oil and add it to eggs along with the lemon juice, zest, vanilla, and almond milk.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Distribute batter evenly among 16 muffins, making sure to use liners* in your muffin pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes, or until inserted knife comes out clean.
- Warm coconut butter in the microwave until it softens (start with 20 second stints).
- Blend in lemon juice and confectioner’s erythritol.
- Spread evenly across the 16 muffins and garnish with a little grated lemon rind.
This recipe was inspired by one from Sweet Laurel. You can make this recipe using mini loaf pans, but be sure to distribute the batter across 3 pans and not try to jam it all into two pans like I did when I first attempted this recipe.
As another variation, place half the batter in the muffin tin well, add a fresh raspberry. Add the remaining half of the batter and top it with a second fresh raspberry before baking. Raspberries + lemon = yum.
*These muffins stick to paper muffin liners. Foil liners work best.
One thought on “Keto Meyer lemon muffins”
Once you say lemon, you have my attention! 💖
LikeLiked by 1 person