Need a nutrient-dense treat to go with your afternoon tea? This recipe will not disappoint! The recipe makes 12 scones, with each one having 4 net carbs and loads of fiber and thiamine. The full skinny on the micronutrients can be found here.
- 2 cups sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/3 cup Swerve confectioners
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cast iron skillet or baking tray.
- Grind sunflower seeds in a food processor until the texture of coarse flour.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, melt butter and whisk in eggs, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Blend all ingredients until just combined.
- Place dough in cast iron skillet and and form a round, not allowing the dough to touch the sides.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Allow scones to cool in the cast iron skillet before slicing into 12 pieces.
I found my inspiration for this unusual recipe from Sugar Free Mom.
After the scones have cooled in the cast iron skillet, slice into 12 pieces and store in the refrigerator.
Enjoy with a nice cuppa!